In this very different world right now you are probably wondering if you should still be job searching and continuing to send your resumes. The answer is yes! Even though many companies have adjusted or suspended their hiring for now they will be hiring once the job market opens back up again.
Other companies are doing a lot of hiring to keep up with the demand in sectors like retail online delivery, grocery stores and manufacturing essential goods for the healthcare industry. During this unprecedented economic slowdown focus on what you CAN control. Improve your skills and reach out to your network for opportunities and moral support. Remember, we’re all in this together.
Here are a few tips to help with you online job search:
- Establish where you are in your job search - Searching and maybe have some interviews lined up? Sending out resumes but not getting much response? Haven’t seen many opportunities or put your search on hold until the pandemic over?
- Set Goals – Establish daily/weekly goals and keep your search well-organized and document either through a spreadsheet or journal. Having all your job search information in one place makes it easier to follow up with employers.
- Take advantage of the slowing job market to get clarity about where you want to work eventually and the role you are seeking.
- Looking for work is a full-time job – Commit time every day and continue to connect with employers by email or phone.
- Research - Your target industry, companies, job titles and any other particulars about the sector of choice and create a document to stay organized
- Look for substitute income - Some companies are STILL hiring - shipping and delivery companies, online learning companies, grocery stores, retailers offering pickup and delivery, remote meeting and communication companies. If you need a stopgap to pay the bills consider looking at those employers for an opportunity that makes sense for you now.
- Develop a new networking strategy – Seek out like-minded groups online and join into virtual meetups and webinars to stay connected.
- Advance your skills and knowledge - Now is the time to take advantage of online learning. Many free options are available to upgrade your qualifications.
- Follow up with leads before everything happened - If you had a promising interview before the slowdown, check in with the hiring manager by email to let them know you’re still interested. Many companies are still establishing their own practices for their teams to work remotely but will resume business operations soon in a new format.
As a way to help Job Skills has online workshops that will assist you in your current job search situation. Watch for the dates and times to register for our online workshops as well as lots of great links and resources to assist you!
If you haven’t connected with an Employment Consultant at Job Skills NOW is the time to get that one-on-one support you need as you move through the new way of working. Call Job Skills toll free at 1-866-592-6278 to connect to one of Job Skill’s experts.